NM MINI MOTORING

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NM MINI MOTORING
NM MINI MOTORING
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 111 on Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 am

good tire experience

+2
ftttubrgcm
tomcgill
6 posters

Go down

good tire experience Empty good tire experience

Post by tomcgill Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:35 pm

I just bought new tires from Perry at his Firestone store on Montgomery. It was a good experience and he had my new tires mounted while I had lunch at the pool hall. Perry also sold me the wheels and tires for my 07 Mini and two sets for my Honda. He owns at least two Minis and is a good technical resource.
tomcgill
tomcgill

Back to top Go down

good tire experience Empty good tire experience

Post by ftttubrgcm Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 pm

I only have a little over 12k on my runflats and they still look like new but when I do, I don't want to get runflats. What did you finally get and why? Also, how are they performing?

ftttubrgcm

Back to top Go down

good tire experience Empty I know your question is directed to Tom

Post by drPhilGandini Fri May 01, 2009 4:23 pm

and Im sure he'll respond, but this is good general question. I'd like to know what people are running for non-run flats, why, and what the experience has been.
I run extreme high performance summer tires (is it ever winter in NM?) and have tried 2 tires, one good, one bad.
The good: Falken Azenis RT-615. Great track tire. Some say noisy, but see below. I think they are acceptable noise wise.
They are very sticky, very predictable and I got good wear out of them (15k about).
The bad: Yokohama Parada Spec2. Look fantastic, but are very noisy and squirrelly. They do not inspire confidence so I wish they would wear out...but they are harder than the Falkens, so I might just have to throw them away...

drPhilGandini

Back to top Go down

good tire experience Empty Re: good tire experience

Post by tomcgill Fri May 01, 2009 4:56 pm

I am not very astute about tires. I have been on the track a few times, but I am not a performance driver, on or off the course. The Bridgestone Potenza tires on Motegi wheels Perry sold me seem to be very solid on dry pavement. They are not noisy and seem to wear well. They seem to me to float on wet pavement, though. I think I would call them high performance dry summer tires. They seemed to have tamed the torque steer that I experienced much more strongly with the original runflats.

I really liked the Michelin Exalto tires, I ran before. They performed well and gave me a lot of confidence. I didn't get to see how they would do in the long run because they and the wheels they were on were stolen.

I do not like the runflat tires. They are heavy and with the heavy minilight wheels, they perform very differently than a light tire and wheel. Certainly some people could prefer the solid feel. They also annoy me because you are not supposed to fix them if they get a puncture. Sandia quoted me $400 to install a single replacement. For that price range I prefer to spend resources on the lighter gear.

I carry a tire repair kit with inflator, a cell phone and a AAAcard. So far, so good. If anybody sees me on the side of the road with a flat tire, please stop and help. Very Happy
tomcgill
tomcgill

Back to top Go down

good tire experience Empty All wise counsel, Tom

Post by drPhilGandini Fri May 01, 2009 5:35 pm

and you reminded me that my Yokohamas suffer from more torque steer than the Falkens--something I was not expecting as the R53 is not a big torque steer car.
Perry Yardley really does know his tires, so you should always stop by and chat with him. He loves Minis so he'll give you information and encouragement.

drPhilGandini

Back to top Go down

Post by ftttubrgcm Mon May 11, 2009 1:26 am

I will probably get a used '06 MCS later today and the runflats it has look a little worn. The only reason I would think about replacing them is that it doesn't have a spare and i don't want my wife stranded somewhere. I have heard several times people saying great things about Continental runflats but when it is time, I will do more research.

ftttubrgcm

Back to top Go down

Post by tyrefryer Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 pm

fttubrgcm: call me and I will try to get you in the right direction as to what is the best tire for your car and driving style 505-243-3701 .... I can get you bridgestone / michelin / continental/ goodyear/ kumho/ dunlap/just about anything you want or need run flats / non runflat's

tyrefryer

Back to top Go down

Post by ftttubrgcm Mon May 11, 2009 9:48 pm

That sounds great. Also, we backed out of the deal on getting the MINI today that needed the new tires. There were some irregularities in its past so we didn't get it. I only have about 12,050 mile right now on my Clubman so I'm thinking sometime next year.

ftttubrgcm

Back to top Go down

Post by tyrefryer Mon May 11, 2009 9:56 pm

cool hopefully not to sad because you didn't get the other mini ? hopefully we will get to see you on some drives soon or maybe we need to head down south to visit and drive with you and your family .

tyrefryer

Back to top Go down

Post by ftttubrgcm Wed May 13, 2009 12:04 am

The best motoring anywhere close to me really isn't close. It is the Cloudcroft/Ruidoso area, about an hour and half away. Also, I'm currently looking at another MINI here in the El Paso area. The guy wants $18,000 for a pepperwhite/black justa Cooper. It has most of the packages but it doesn't have the chrono package which I love. What I love about it is that it has less than 8k miles on it so it is pretty cherry. If i get this for my wife as an extra car and I come back from the UK later this month broke, then I won't get to do very much motoring for a while. We have so busy with work and just regular family life to do very much motoring after MITM and the Taos run last year.

ftttubrgcm

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sat May 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Thank you all for the tire info. I didn't want to hijack this post with my own question about run flats so I posted it separately. Thank you.
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Bleeding Eardrum Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:19 pm

I just got 4 new tires from Mr. Tyrefryer at his shop on 7th, and Central. He was nice enough to even lend me a 17in runflat to get my car from Sandia Mini to his shop. I got Bridestone Potenza RE760 Sport BL 205/45R17 with the NM-Mini car club discount it worked out to be a really great deal. and They handle very nicely. I was in and out of his shop in less than 1 hour.
I kept the 2 runflats that I had that are still in good shape should someone be in a bind and in the need or a pair let me know.

Create, a Great Day,
Michael Patrick Burke
1-505-504-6663
Bleeding Eardrum
Bleeding Eardrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down