NM MINI MOTORING

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NM MINI MOTORING
NM MINI MOTORING
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 111 on Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 am

Replacing my Mini's Windshield

4 posters

Go down

Replacing my Mini's Windshield Empty Replacing my Mini's Windshield

Post by habnero Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:09 am

I'm needing to replace my mini's windshield. My insurance agency is recommending a certain un-named glass shop where they will replace it with PPG glass. In previous forums I remember some owners having difficulty with repalcement windshields, and I don't want to encounter similar problems. I have asked my insurance agency to try and get permission for the dealer to do the replacement, but I got the standard "we have agreed upon rates that the dealerw on't meet" story.
If anyone has had experience with having their windshield replaced I'd love some advice?
Matt
habnero
habnero

Back to top Go down

Replacing my Mini's Windshield Empty Ah, yes, the memories . . .

Post by Max Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:03 pm

The other problem (or should I say insurance company issue) with the dealer job is the shop rate. Most insurance companies “farm out” their glass coverage to a secondary company. These secondary companies have a set amount for that they will pay for the parts and labor. They have also set aside what they think you need and don’t need as far as parts go. I found them very unwilling to even bend a little.

I worked with Sandia Mini and Allstate’s glass secondary carrier when I needed glass. Chad, at Sandia, had to fax this company many times and try to get each item approved one at a time. We spent a week fighting with the insurance guys with little good result. I finally gave up and took my car to “A Touch Of Glass” where they put in the PPG glass, stuck on a new sticker, and still did the job absorbing my deductible. They also let me watch the entire process, from a safe distance, and answered any questions I had as the job progressed.

The PPG glass is actually stronger (read thicker) than the original MINI glass. Not so much thicker as not to fit easily. The biggest issue I remember people having was with the glass that has a rain sensor for the automatic wipers. That adds cost to the glass and tech savvy to the install. Some had a whistling issue at speed with new glass. That seems to be related to how much adhesive the glass shop uses when they install the glass.

I would call the glass shop and ask how many MINI’s they have worked on. If they don’t have a few under their belt I’d shy away. Perhaps people could post where they have been going to glass lately??

The glass shop I used has since closed. Very unfortunate since several of us used that particular shop. There are other locations for “A Touch Of Glass” that are still open but I can’t say anything as to how they work out.

Broken glass is a way of life for us. We sit low. We have a small, very perpendicular front window. The only thing you can do is increase your following distances. If you get a star or chip get it patched quick. Once the cracking starts it’s sure to move fast and since it’s such a small glass it will take up a lot of your field of view.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how it goes.

-m-
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Replacing my Mini's Windshield Empty Re: Replacing my Mini's Windshield

Post by evilmini Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:11 am

As I mentioned the last time this came up, I had to replace the windshields on both of my wife's and my MINIs. Wanted to do it at the dealer but State Farm said no and sent me to Westside Auto Glass (sort of behind Intel). They were terrific! They used PPG but no problems and waived my deductible. They also have mobile service at no extra charge. Highly recommended.
evilmini
evilmini

Back to top Go down

Post by habnero Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll keep your sugestions in mind!
matt
habnero
habnero

Back to top Go down

Replacing my Mini's Windshield Empty my new windshield

Post by habnero Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm

At the direction of my insurance agent, I went over to Horizon auto glass and had them replace my w/shield. Dropped it off at the menaul location at 12:00 noon and at 3:30 it was done. They did a nice job, no scratches or marks on the window frame, and it appears to be airtight. I would definitely reccomend them if your w/shield needs replacing.
matt
habnero
habnero

Back to top Go down

Post by BourneAgain Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:43 pm

I live in Las Cruces and need a new windshield for my MINI. Has anyone else had their windshield replaced on their MINI using a place in Las Cruces? How was the install? Would you recommend them? If not, does anyone else have a place in the Las Cruces area they would recommend?

BourneAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down