NM MINI MOTORING

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NM MINI MOTORING
NM MINI MOTORING
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 111 on Tue May 14, 2019 8:57 am

Cat-back and Turbo-back Exhaust

3 posters

Go down

Cat-back and Turbo-back Exhaust Empty Cat-back and Turbo-back Exhaust

Post by Mac Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello All
I have a 2009 JCW and I am interested in purchasing an aftermarket exhaust.
The Borla is a cat-back exhaust part # 140262 (touring) and # 140261 "S" type.]
The Alta is AMP EXT 130. Aside from the price difference, which would you get and why?
Also, if you have one how do you like it or do you like it?
How is the tone?
If there are others exhausts out there, let me know.
I don't want a custom job.
Thanks for input on the above.
If this topic is a repeat, please let me know and we can take care of it.
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Cat-back and Turbo-back Exhaust Empty Re: Cat-back and Turbo-back Exhaust

Post by Mac Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:56 pm

PS.
Forgot to add that the Alta is a Turbo-back exhaust which accounts for the greater price probably.
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by yelrsub Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:20 am

Hi Mac,

Although I haven't looked into exhausts lately, both brands offer good solid products. I believe you will maximize the output by going as close to the engine as possible. It sounds as though the Alta includes a cat since it is turbo-back -- you can gain some power with a performance cat installed.
As for tone, the best thing to do is search the web for exhaust sound samples, including turbo Mini in your search. You can usually find a good number of samples people have uploaded after doing installs. The sound is nothing like hearing the real thing, of course, but you can at least get some idea of it.
One of our members put a really nice-sounding exhaust on her '07 turbo. I'll see if I can find out what it is.

-sub
yelrsub
yelrsub

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi yelrsub -
Thanks for the feedback and info.
Yep, you are right about the Alta unit probably resulting in greater output, but I wonder if the increased cost and the increased invasiveness of the turbo-back would be worth the small edge over the cat-back unit.
I would be interested to find our about the other member's '07 exhaust details.
Thanks again - appreciate it.
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by metropolmodern Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Where do you buy parts like these? I'm sure the web is a great place to start but are there any good, reliable & honest shops in Albuquerque?
metropolmodern
metropolmodern

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Read today that the Turbo-back exhaust that Alta sells can cause check engine alarms. Thinking I will avoid that possibility. Now, to decide between the Borla touring and the Borla S.
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by yelrsub Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 am

If the cat is too much of a performance cat, it will trigger the oxygen sensors and the check engine light. I had one which I put into place that immediately turned on the check engine light, but made a significant difference in performance on my '03 Cooper (non-S). It also increased the noise output somewhat, including under and into the car.

I would bet the Borla S will be louder than the Touring model. Try to find some sound files online. Let us know if you do!

I ran that cat on a long cross-country trip, about 3300 miles, without any problems (other than a broken weld on one of the flanges). Within a year, I had to have a valve job done on the car, but no idea if the two are related. The car had about 125k on it at the time of the valve job.

-sub
yelrsub
yelrsub

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:27 am

I found some video on youtube, but it's hard to tell much unless I find one that is a side by side comparison. I'd like to hear one live, if anyone out there has one on their Mini.

yelrsub wrote:If the cat is too much of a performance cat, it will trigger the oxygen sensors and the check engine light. I had one which I put into place that immediately turned on the check engine light, but made a significant difference in performance on my '03 Cooper (non-S). It also increased the noise output somewhat, including under and into the car.

I would bet the Borla S will be louder than the Touring model. Try to find some sound files online. Let us know if you do!

I ran that cat on a long cross-country trip, about 3300 miles, without any problems (other than a broken weld on one of the flanges). Within a year, I had to have a valve job done on the car, but no idea if the two are related. The car had about 125k on it at the time of the valve job.

-sub
Mac
Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down